5 Ways for Americans to Move to Canada

5 Ways for Americans to Move to Canada

Throughout the American election process, there have been many people who made it clear that they will move to Canada, depending on the election outcome.  Of course, most never thought they would be faced with this outcome.  Nonetheless, the people have spoken.  For those who are seriously considering moving to Canada, here are 5 ways to Move to Canada.

Five ways for Americans to move to Canada <FAST>:

  1. NAFTA Professionals – Although free trade agreements (and their elimination) were discussed by the Trump campaign, NAFTA is still alive and well. NAFTA offers opportunities for professionals to obtain a work permit without requiring a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). This means you could have a work permit the same day as a job offer is made to you. Graphic Designers, Engineers, Accountants, Social Workers and Computer Systems Analysts, to name a few of the eligible occupations.  A full list of eligible occupations are listed at the end of this post.
  1. Study in Canada Tuition fees in the United States, even for state residents are astronomically high. In Canada, tuition fees for international students range from $8,800 CAD – $25,000 CAD per year ($6,563.93 USD – $18,647.53 USD). You can easily submit a study permit online or at the port of entry as you enter Canada.
  1. Express Entry – Permanent Residence through the Express Entry categories ranks applicants based on their proficiency in English or French, Education, Age and Work Experience. Americans should score high on these equivalency exams and should be able to find success in 6-8 months if they have a reasonable education and work experience. All Express Entry candidates must have completed an educational credential assessment (ECA) and language proficiency examination (IELTS) to apply as a Federal Skilled Worker.
  1. Work – If you do not qualify for an LMIA-exempt work permit, there are still opportunities to obtain a work permit in Canada. To do this, you will need the support of an employer. The LMIA process can take 8-16 weeks however there are some positions (wage and demand related) that are processed in less than 3 weeks. These tend to be high-paid positions ($40/hour and higher) or those in the skilled trades (carpenters, contractors, logging machinery operators, ironworkers, welders, sheet metal workers, electricians, plumbers, gas fitters, to name a few). Once you have an LMIA, you can make an application for a work permit at the port of entry.
  1. Visit – Why not experience a winter in Canada? Not only will this allow you to watch and plan your next steps from Canada, but it can also dispel some inaccuracies about Canada (i.e. igloo living). All jokes aside, winter in Canada is an experience. There are many extraordinary ski-resorts throughout the country that are a skier and snowborder’s paradise. There are festivals and markets throughout the holiday season, amazing restaurants and a lot of really great people!

In summary, many of these options require applications and/or employer support. We have experience in all of these areas and can assist you with coming to Canada. We work with many post-secondary institutions for college admissions and we offer full service immigration support for work permits, LMIA’s and permanent residency applications. Talk to us today!

LMIA-exempt position through NAFTA Professionals:

  • Accountants
  • Architects
  • Computer Systems Analysts
  • Economists
  • Engineers
  • Foresters
  • Graphic Designers
  • Hotel Managers
  • Industrial Designers
  • Interior Designers
  • Land Surveyors
  • Landscape Architects
  • Lawyers
  • Librarians
  • Management Consultants
  • Mathematicians
  • Range Managers
  • Scientific Technicians
  • Social Workers
  • Sylviculturists
  • Technical Publications Writers

Leave a Reply