Study in Canada

The Canadian education system is ranked among the best in the world and Canada is considered one of the most popular destinations for Study Abroad programs.  When making such an important decision, it is important to take into consideration the necessary steps involved in selecting a study program, international admissions and applying for your study permit with immigration in Canada.

If you are considering a Study Abroad experience, check out the following steps:

Check the expiration date of your passport as this effects the time that Canadian immigration officials can give you in Canada.  Your study permit cannot be issued beyond the expiration date of your passport.

Depending on your study period and program conditions, there are three types of visa that can be requested:

Some programs do not require a study permit. Generally, if your course is for less than 6 months and does not lead to a degree or diploma, you may be eligible to study in Canada with visitor status. Some examples include: English as a Second Language programs for 6 months or less and general interest courses.

For programs in Canada that will be longer than 6 months or for any programs where the credential you’re working towards is longer than 6 months, a study permit is required. Some examples include: Post-Degree Diploma, Certificates and Degrees as well as study exchange programs with your foreign university.

Some programs require students to gain work experience related to their studies in order to graduate. This is called a co-op. If your program requires this, you will need a co-op work permit in addition to a study permit.

If you are unsure what type of status you will need in Canada, please contact us today at

Canada offers several city options that cater to pretty much all tastes and lifestyles. The choice of the city should be closely linked to your personal and professional profile. For this reason, carry out your research based on the size of the city, cost of living, weather and the demand of your career area.

The type of student accommodation will depend on your budget and the way of living that best suit your lifestyle and needs. The most common options are homestays, student residences, shared apartments and hotels.

Health insurance protects you from unexpected situations and is a mandatory step for all people who will participate in study programs in Canada. Applying for a government plan is also possible if you are in the country with a valid visa.

It is extremely important that you check the status of your visa before scheduling the date of your trip, and search for off-peak season flights. The difference in prices may be very significant. Stopovers in other countries may also facilitate the access to flight tickets

Canada is a country extremely prepared for the low winter temperatures and there are heating systems installed almost everywhere. However, for outdoor activities, it is recommended to dress in layers in order to withstand the cold winter weather. If you do not have the proper winter clothing, most Canadian stores offer special clothes, accessories and shoes at a great price.


Courses in English as a Second Language (ESL) and French as a Second Language (FSL) are meant to students who want to learn a new foreign language with total immersion or improve their language skills due to academic or professional purposes. These courses are offered from a beginner level to an advanced level, and students will also have the opportunity to take a placement test in order to attend classes consistent with their appropriate level.

A Career College program is the best option for anyone seeking to combine theory and practice during an experience abroad. These programs offer the co-op internship option, which will give the student an opportunity to combine the theory acquired in the course with the practice of the Canadian job market.

Colleges typically offer short-term courses (between 1 and 2 years), whereas Universities offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Depending on the student’s needs and expectations, a College or a University may be a better choice. A University may be a better choice if you want to have contact with a variety of programs aimed at academic research, for example. However, if you have a preference for more technical courses, then a College may be the option that best suits your profile.

Post-Degree Programs are an essential education complement and provide further training in a specific career area, which can help students who have already completed a University degree or College diploma be more competitive in the workplace.

List of designated learning institutions by province/territory


Step 1: Choose the province or territory your school is in.

Step 2: Type in keywords such as the name of the school, city, etc.

Step 3: Find the designated learning institution number and write it under the section Details of intended study in Canada on your study permit application.