Kelowna and its charming vineyards
Continuing with our Canadian travel journal section, this week we take you a place that one of our founders, Rebeca, visited during the weekend. We are talking about the beautiful Kelowna, British Columbia.
Being an excellent combination between urban and rural, culture and nature, Kelowna has a lot to offer visitors in Canada. It is an excellent destination for a trip of friends, a romantic getaway or family vacation. It is also a great place to study as an international student!
Kelowna is located in the Okanagan Valley of the interior of the province of British Columbia, Canada. It’s name comes from the term “Grizzly Bear” in the Okanagan language.
It has a population of 194,882 inhabitants, being the third largest metropolitan area in the province, after Vancouver and Victoria.
How to get there:
- Bus: Prices range from $ 91 CAD round trip from Vancouver. If you want to search from other destinations, you can use Busbud website, where you can compare prices, schedules and amenities between different bus companies.
- Flight: 50 minutes. You can search for flights at Tripadvisor.
- Car: Kelowna is located 390 km from Vancouver, so if you go by car the trip will be about 4 hours. The weather along the highway to Kelowna can change fast so it is important that you have a safe vehicle with appropriate tires for driving in the snow. As we indicated in our other post from Whistler, there are several options where you can rent a car either in the classic rent a Car companies or you can use car sharing as Car2Go or Evo.
Where to stay:
In Kelowna, there is a accommodation available for all tastes and budgets. There are hostels, hotels, resorts, apartments and many Bed and Breakfasts.
- Apartments, shared rooms: You can find all these options on Airbnb website.
- Hostels: If you like to stay in places to interact with people and make groups in the places where you visit, we recommend you to go for a hostel. You can find some at very convenient prices at HostelWorld – Kelowna.
- Hotels: there is also the option of hotels and you can find one that fits your budget.
More information at: https://www.booking.com/city/ca/kelowna.html
What to do:
Kelowna is best known for its wineries. It is the birthplace of wines from the province of British Columbia. If you find yourself in Kelowna, be sure to check out the wine tours of the beautiful and popular vineyards in the area.
Summerhill Pyramid Winery
This vineyard is among the most recognized in the area and the world. This is because, from the beginning, Summerhill Pyramid has proposed to make the most beautiful wines in the world; starting with organic grapes and cultivated biodynamical from the Okanagan Valley, handling them with love and attention and allowing them to ferment naturally to retain the highest levels of antioxidants. They finish the wines in their Pyramid Cellar that they state is aligned with the stars to create a structure of stillness and harmony.
Here you can find in its portfolio of sparkling wines Cipes and Summerhill red, white and ice, awarded among the highest honors in the world of wine, including trophies and gold medals from France and England.
If you want to take a Tour through the vineyards or buy some of their wines, the place is open 7 days a week.
There are also wine tastings from 9am to 7pm. The tastings are free and are made without prior appointment. It is not necessary to book.
Summerhill is family friendly, so children are welcome in the tasting room and on field trips.
Another tour that they offer is the Tour of the pyramidal experience at 2:00 p.m. If you want to take this, it is recommended to register online.
More information at https://www.summerhill.bc.ca/
Mission Hill Winery
Another visit that you cannot miss on your trip to Kelowna is to visit the Vineyard Mission Hill Family Estate. Located in the heart of the wine region of the Okanagan Valley, this family vineyard is a true beauty. Everyone is invited to experience the nature and art of winemaking by walking through its vineyards and visiting its underground cellars. Here, you have the chance to taste fine wines by the glass, marvel at the sight and reflect on a process that is almost as old as time.
On your tour, you can visit the wineries and taste the wines they offer. They will also explain the wine-making process at Mission Hill Family Estate, as well as all the details that make the Okanagan Valley so special for making them.
These tours and tastings are available all year. Keep in mind that the website recommends making reservations.
The winery opens daily but has the following times depending on the time of year:
September 3 – October 8, 2018
10:00 am – 6:00 pm
October 9 – December 31, 2018
11:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
More information at: https://missionhillwinery.com/
Quails gate winery
As one of the most important family wineries in Canada, Quails Gate Winery has been involved in the development of the wine industry for more than six decades, focusing on making the Okanagan Valley a true culinary destination.
Quails’ Gate Winery has built its reputation on three pillars: to offer consistent wines of high quality, to provide an exceptional experience to the visitor and to guarantee excellence in customer service.
Among the activities offered are tours and wine tastings, as well as other types of events.
You can visit them daily at the following times:
September 4 – October 8, 2018
10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
October 9 – April 29, 2018
10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
April 30 – June 30, 2018
10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
July 1 – September 3
9:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
It is also recommended to make reservations, to ensure availability in the tours offered.
For these dates offer the following tours:
- Chocolate & Wine Tasting (45 Mins): March 21 – October 7
- Quails’ Gate Family Tour (60 Mins): March 21 – October 9
- Best of Boucherie (60 Mins): May 1 – October 8
More information at: https://www.quailsgate.com/
Undoubtedly Kelowna is a destination that amazes anyone, especially wine lovers. I hope you are encouraged to know this city, because you will not regret it!
If you would like to come to study, work, live, travel to Canada, contact us today
Follow us on our social networks for more stories, data and information about Canada!